1st Place in 2002 4-H Cornbread Cook-Off Amber Smith Sequatchie, TN
JES - Marlyn Freeman
- 1 cup Martha White Self-Rising flour
- 1 cup Martha White Self-Rising cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely graded lemon zest(grate outside of lemon)
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 1/2 cups raspberries(6 oz.)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease cast iron skillet with shortening. Mix flour, cornmeal, sugar and lemon zest in bowl. Mix butter, milk, yolks and egg and stir into flour mixture. Gently stir in raspberries. Pour mixture in skillet.
Bake in middle of oven for 25 minutes, then sprinkle top with sugar and bake for 5 more minutes. Servings:8-10.
**Original (untested) recipe.