Martha Jane McDowell Knoxville, TN - 2002 National Cornbread Festival Finalis
This dish is a challenge to those who do not like "gumbo" (okra). When cooked with cornbread, okra looses its moist texture and contributes only it succulent flavor that makes it a favorite with Southern cooks.
30 minutes preparation. About 20 – 25 minutes cooking time.
Six to eight servings.
Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Gumbo ingredients:
- 1 ten ounce package frozen cut okra, cooked by package instructions.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup smoked sausage, finely chopped
In medium (10 inch) cast iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil. Sauté onion and pepper until almost soft.
Skillet should remain warm for final baking.
Cornbread mixture may be prepared while skillet mixture cooks.
- Cornbread ingredients:
- 1 cup grated hot pepper cheese (such as Monterey Jack/Jalapno pepper)
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup Martha White® Yellow Self-Rising (Enriched) Cornmeal Mix
- ¼ cup Martha White® All Purpose Flour
In a medium mixer bowl, combine egg, oil, and milk
Stir in cornmeal and flour until moistened
Add cheese, skillet mixture, okra, salt, pepper, and sausage. Gently stir.
Check still warm skillet to make sure sides and bottom are well coated with oil. If not, add more oil, being careful not to burn hands
Pour mixture into skillet and bake until golden brown.
Loosen cornbread from sides of skillet*. Portions may be served directly from skillet, or a serving dish may be placed over skillet (using hand protection) and inverted for table or buffet presentation.
* Always remember to use heat resistant/non-corrosive utensils on cast iron cookware to protect surface.